French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Hello, I am new in this forum, and I confess I'm not learning french yet, although I will eventually for sure, promise!

What brought me here is that I am making a crossword compilation for my grandfather in Spanish, English and French. I will also include the same dedicatory in the three languages.

I Google-translated each one it but as you all know, translators don't quite express what we mean. It is very simple though, you'll see.
  Could you help me to revise it please :)?

As an hispano-speaker I may have errors that you may freely point at me. Suggestions accepted. Thanks!

original paragraphs:

Dear Grandpa,
This is a compilation of crosswords I made for you. I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for being the amazing person we all love.
affectously,
Catbites

Querido abuelito:
Esta es una recopilación de crucigramas que hice para usted. Espero que lo disfrute. Gracias por ser la gran persona que yo y toda la familia amamos.
Con cariño,
Catbites

googletranslations:

Cher grand-père:
Ceci est une collection de puzzles que j'ai fait pour vous. J'espère qu'elle vous plaira. Merci d'être la personne que je viens de l'amour et toute la famille.
Amour,
Catbites

Cher grand-père,
Ceci est une compilation de mots croisés que j'ai fait pour vous. J'espère qu'elle vous plaira. Merci d'être la personne extraordinaire que nous aimons tous.
avec amour,
Catbites

Views: 990

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Catbites,

In French, the affectionate term for naming a grandfather is Papy.

Otherwise, the second french translation is perfect !

Thanks a lot :)

Ceci est une compilation de mots croisés que j'ai faite pour vous. 

thank you, merci :) who would have thought?

In your English version, the only nit-pick is that affectously doesn't exist. It's affectionately.

I was having a difficult time trying to find that word, thanks a lot

I don't know what your relationship with your grand father is, but we use the "vous" form when speaking to a single person (the "vouvoiement") to show a distance, or a hierarchical respect. You would more likely say :

"Ceci est une compilation de mots croisés que j'ai fait pour toi. J'espère qu'elle te plaira"

Also, "Affectueusement" is more used than "avec amour".

In any case, as said by others, the second translation is perfect

Thank you, I really have not realized of that matter. Think I will go for your suggestions ; )

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service