French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Hello! I'm trying to read the script of an unreleased Tintin album ''Tintin et le Thermozéro". Can someone translate this text?

Je suis agent du F.B.I.. A l'heure qu'il est, tous les services de contre-espionnage sont sur les dents. Des espions «freelance», c'est-à-dire travaillent pour leur propre compte et non pour une nation déterminée, ont commis un vol d'une portée effrayante... Ils sont parvenus à subtiliser dans un laboratoire un échantillon d'un produit nouveau destiné aux futurs explorateurs de l'espace: le «Zero heating»...

Thanks!

Views: 451

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Why don't you give us your effort,Tim  and we can take it from there?

yes as George said, if you try to propose a translation, for me it's easier to read and see if it means the same thing.

Okay, this is the best I could come up with. Does this seem right?

I am an agent from the FBI. At the moment all spies (what kind of spies?) are under pressure. The “freelance spies”, which means that they all work for themselves and not for a specific nation, have comitted a scary crime. From a laboratory they have stolen a sample of a new product/substance designed for future space explorers: “Zero heating”.

Okay, this is the best I could come up with. Does this seem right?

I am an agent from the FBI. At the moment all spies (what kind of spies?) are under pressure. The “freelance spies”, which means that they all work for themselves and not for a specific nation, have comitted a scary crime. From a laboratory they have stolen a sample of a new product/substance designed for future space explorers: “Zero heating”.

Very close.

"d'une portée effrayante"   "of terrifying consequences/extent"

"services de contre-espionnage" ="just "counter espionage agencies"

"Un vol" is a theft rather than  a crime

"sur les dents" could be better as "on edge"

"destine" does mean "destined" of course. "Designed" is fine

Ahh I see! Thank you very much!!

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service