French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

French Grammar (1,947)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Educator

Waving

How might one say that one waved to someone? Say you happened to see a friend in the street and waved to him or her. Perhaps just to say h…

Started by George Hunt

2 Jan 11, 2020
Reply by George Hunt

Using the future tense

This is the sentence to be translated: They will ring when they get there.  I am aware of a "rule" (?) which states that in the case of 2…

Started by Billy Bosworth

2 Jan 6, 2020
Reply by Chantal Savignat

Body parts+adjective requiring possessive adjective

I know body parts are generally preceded by the definite article. But I've heard that when the body part is qualified by an adjective, thi…

Started by michael rivers

2 Nov 25, 2019

chapelle ancienne?

Ancien (-ne) is one of those adjectives that can go before or after the noun, and thereby have a different meaning.  Normally if it precede…

Started by Billy Bosworth

2 Oct 7, 2019

avoir besoin de, avoir besoin des...?

1. Mon chien a peur des chats 2. J'ai besoin d'oeufs If sentence 1 is correct then shouldn't sentence 2 be..."J'ai besoin des oeufs"? Wha…

Started by Joseph K.

5 Aug 8, 2019
Reply by George Hunt

Water Glass

I think this is an easy one. We have un verre de vin and un verre à vin, which are a glass of wine and a wine glass, respectively. So, is i…

Started by Dwayne Roberts

5 Aug 3, 2019
Reply by George Hunt

apprendre v. enseigner

i just came across this sentence:  Avec ces poupées, on apprend aux filles qu’elles doivent faire attention à leur apparence, à leurs vêtem…

Started by alan gould

1 Aug 3, 2019
Reply by George Hunt

the best in the world

quite sure i learned to say "le meilleur X du monde".  but on the internet, i'm hearing "au monde" and never "du monde."  i'm wondering if…

Started by alan gould

2 Aug 3, 2019
Reply by George Hunt

The way baronesses are made!

I want to make a title for an article in french that means "The way baronesses are made". I came with "Qu'on fait des baronnes" (short for…

Started by LiXiQing

5 Aug 3, 2019
Reply by alan gould

apprendre v. enseigner

i just came across this sentence:  Avec ces poupées, on apprend aux filles qu’elles doivent faire attention à leur apparence, à leurs vêtem…

Started by alan gould

0 Aug 3, 2019

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service