French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

French Grammar (1,947)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

defective

if something is defective is it "defectueux" or defaillant? the noun defect i think is "le defaut".  i know echec as failure.  the dictiona…

Started by alan gould

1 Dec 16, 2020
Reply by Chantal Savignat

inferior

in english, inferior means less capable.  something's of inferior quality, someone has an inferiority complex in french it seems to also r…

Started by alan gould

1 Dec 16, 2020

perdre pied

perdre pied. i was told this means u feel u're inadequate compared to others.  but a dictionary said it means to b confused.  i'd like to s…

Started by alan gould

1 Nov 29, 2020
Reply by George Hunt

vocab clarification

1) are both implementer and mettre en oeuvre used to mean implement? 2) etre perdu, s'etre perdu, egarre' i have the example "nous nous so…

Started by alan gould

2 Oct 26, 2020
Reply by alan gould

un jupe vert clair

Well, my whole understanding of matching gender of nouns and adjectives just got shaken. I read today, "un jupe vert clair".  "Jupe" is fem…

Started by Dwayne Roberts

7 Oct 26, 2020
Reply by George Hunt

postpone

are repousser and reporter interchangeable?  and when are renvoyer and remettre used?  

Started by alan gould

1 Oct 25, 2020

se dire

i saw this in the dictionary and want to review how to use it:  to say to oneself, to think  Quand je l'ai vu, je me suis dit qu'il avait v…

Started by alan gould

1 Aug 19, 2020
Reply by George Hunt

s'attaquer vs attaquer

I am trying to come up with a general rule of thumb regarding the usage of these 2 verbs.  For a start I have difficulty reconciling "se &…

Started by Billy Bosworth

1 Jul 4, 2020
Reply by George Hunt

word usage

"agiter le mélange pour dissoudre le sel"   explain "agiter" versus "secouer" versus "remuer"  C’est a deux pas – right around the corner…

Started by alan gould

4 Jun 2, 2020
Reply by alan gould

word usage

1) to provoke qq - faire qq réagir or provoquer 2) i came across "Ils se sont réunis à 5 heures."  i'm told "se retrouver" is the most comm…

Started by alan gould

1 May 31, 2020

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service